[unisog] New Student Weekend Hel^H^H^H

Clarke Morledge chmorl at wm.edu
Mon Aug 25 21:27:52 GMT 2003

Phillip,

Thanks for the excellent write up.  We got swamped, too.  First, it was
Blaster, but Nachi/Welchia took care of that for us :-)

We were not able to get a netreg-type system in place in time to do what
you are doing, and we now wish we could have done something like that.
But I'm sure that what we would have planned to put in would have gotten
overrun, just as you found out.

Since most of the variants of the RPC/DCOM worms spread via tftp, we were
able to block tftp on the ingress on all ports at the closet level. That
kept the spread of the worm down, but it did nothing stop new systems
(brought in by students and faculty) from causing havoc.  We have found
that it only takes about a half dozen to a dozen Nachi infected systems to
begin to degrade network performance on certain segments of our network.

We find ourselves knocking off between 20 to 70 infected systems per day
since last Wednesday (students started showing up then), sending teams out
to the dorms and offices to clean and patch.

Our measures to protect us at the Internet border worked great.  We just
got whipped by attacks from the inside.

Clarke Morledge
College of William and Mary
Jones Hall (Room 18)