UConn's Residential Network Beat the Worms

Phil.Rodrigues at uconn.edu Phil.Rodrigues at uconn.edu
Mon Aug 25 23:05:26 GMT 2003

Hi all,

>From August 21-24, 2003 we had 11,500 students return to the residence
halls.  9,100 students registered their computers through NetReg and
successfully connected to the campus network and the Internet, mostly on
Saturday and Sunday.  We automatically scanned and identified 2,500 (27%)
of those computers as vulnerable and redirected them to a page where they
downloaded and installed the patch.  That is 2,500 computers that were
patched without staff intervention, and that were not infected with the
worm, and that did not generate a support phone-call or visit.

We have documented all the steps we took and linked to all of the code we
used.  If your student population has not yet returned to campus, and you
were already using NetReg to register them, you should be able to
implement all of these steps we took:

http://www.security.uconn.edu/uconn_response.html

We are very interested in making this page useful to as many institutions
as possible.  If you have a specific suggestion or criticism please direct
it to me or security at uconn.edu.

Good luck!

Phil

Philip A. Rodrigues