[unisog] UConn's Residential Network Beat the Worms

carr at caustic.nsg.nwu.edu carr at caustic.nsg.nwu.edu
Tue Aug 26 12:22:22 GMT 2003

Phil.Rodrigues at uconn.edu writes:

> Hi all,
>
> >From August 21-24, 2003 we had 11,500 students return to the residence
> halls.  9,100 students registered their computers through NetReg and
> successfully connected to the campus network and the Internet, mostly on
> Saturday and Sunday.  We automatically scanned and identified 2,500 (27%)
> of those computers as vulnerable and redirected them to a page where they
> downloaded and installed the patch.  That is 2,500 computers that were
> patched without staff intervention, and that were not infected with the
> worm, and that did not generate a support phone-call or visit.

	Phil, do you have any measure of hosts within the same broadcast
domain infecting each other?  We still have a little time before our
students come to campus and are considering using the Cisco Private VLAN
protected port feature of the switches. The feature stops two hosts on
the same LAN from talking directly to each other. We can then put
VACLS on the router interfaces to limit the hosts from infecting each other.

	Has anyone else done this?

Dave