[unisog] UConn's Residential Network Beat the Worms

Marc Jimenez mjimenez at net.tufts.edu
Tue Aug 26 21:33:39 GMT 2003

Hi Dave,
	We had our first batch of 400 students move in yesterday. We saw a
mean time to infection of 20 seconds. That was almost entirely
cross-infection from machines on the same subnet, or within our ResNet.
	We put in L3 ACLs on our 3550 switchports to limit port 135 and 69
inbound, while blocking port 135 and 69 outbound from the router. This has
seemed to put a stop to the cross-infections, without stopping student
machines from otherwise communicating with one another, and without
driving the router CPU through the roof.
	We also put rules in those same switchport ACLs to stop machines
on our registration and restricted networks from cross-communicating, and
to stop rogue DHCP servers.

	-Marc

Marc Jimenez
Network Engineering
Tufts University

"Read all instructions before applying adhesive."
-Large Print on Lid of Bucket; words to live by.

"Diplomacy" is saying "nice doggy" until you can find a big rock.
-Heinlein