[unisog] Sobig.f with stripped attachments.

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Wed Aug 27 12:57:19 GMT 2003

> We've been inundated with email from Sobig.f which did not
> include the attachment.  . . .
> Well, yesterday we saw the ``stripped off'' attachments originating
> from a local machine.

Confirmed-- many of these, and a sample from a local PC came
straight to our mail server.  The Content-Type says multipart
but it actually has only the one text/plain part.

It can be caught by checking for the distinctive mime boundary string
/boundary=\"_NextPart_000_........\"/ in the Content-Type header,
the same as messages with the actual virus.

We had 375,000 yesterday-- that combines the virus and the messages
missing the virus.

Joseph Brennan         Columbia University in the City of New York
Academic Technologies Group                   brennan at columbia.edu