[unisog] .edu's who use SpamCop?

Steve VanDevender stevev at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Tue Dec 16 21:50:07 GMT 2003

Rodrigues, Philip writes:
 > Hi all,
 >
 > We are currently using SpamCop's dynamic list of spammers to reject some
 > mail sent to the University.  This has the benefit of blocking lots of
 > spam, and the drawback of occasionally blocking legitimate mail from
 > sources SpamCop has determined to be spammers.
 >
 > I am looking for support for and against this policy:
 >
 > Does anyone else use SpamCop as one of their spam filters?

We don't.

 > Has anyone looked into SpamCop and decided *not* to use them?  Why not?

SpamCop's own documentation for their blacklist recommends against using
it on a production mail server.

http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml

"This blocking list is somewhat experimental and should not be used in a
production environment where legitimate email must be delivered."

It has a significant (and clearly self-acknowledgd) problem with listing
innocent mail servers, apparently due to poor evaluation of complaints
regarding things like legitimate mailing list mail being reported as
spam.