[unisog] .edu's who use SpamCop?

Christopher A Bongaarts cab at tc.umn.edu
Tue Dec 16 23:21:08 GMT 2003

In the immortal words of Rodrigues, Philip:

> We are currently using SpamCop's dynamic list of spammers to reject some
> mail sent to the University.  This has the benefit of blocking lots of
> spam, and the drawback of occasionally blocking legitimate mail from
> sources SpamCop has determined to be spammers.
>
> I am looking for support for and against this policy:
>
> Does anyone else use SpamCop as one of their spam filters?
>
> Has anyone looked into SpamCop and decided *not* to use them?  Why not?

We currently look up MTA's that connect to us in SpamCop and "flag"
them, but do not block based on them.  Historically they have had
problems with overzealous blocking, but apparently they've been
improving lately, particularly in the last six months or so, both by
our own observation and second-hand reports from other administrators.

We'd actually be interested in hearing about what people are seeing as
far as false positives with SpamCop *recently*...

(Incidentally, I'm told our abuse@ folks absolutely love SpamCop
because they are prompt with notification when someone on our network
misbehaves.)

The most effective DNSBL we've been using for spamblocking has been
the Spamhaus Block List.

%%  Christopher A. Bongaarts  %%  cab at tc.umn.edu       %%
%%  Internet Services         %%  http://umn.edu/~cab  %%
%%  University of Minnesota   %%  +1 (612) 625-1809    %%