[unisog] .edu's who use SpamCop?

Paul Russell prussell at nd.edu
Tue Dec 16 23:41:30 GMT 2003

Our central mail servers are configured to check the SpamCop and ORDB network
blacklists, and reject messages from hosts listed on either list. In the past
60 days, approximately 7.2 million messages were presented to our mail servers.
Approximately 3.3 million of those messages were rejected at the SMTP level due
to network blacklist entries. The SpamCop blacklist is checked first, and the
vast majority of the rejects were due to a listing on the SpamCop blacklist. In
the same time period, we received less than 10 complaints regarding legitimate
messages which were rejected by our mail servers due to network blacklist
entries.

We have sendmail configured with FEATURE('delay_checks'), so we can whitelist
any host, domain, sender, or recipient, and we currently have approximately 90
host, domain, or sender entries on our local whitelist.

We run MIMEDefang, SpamAssassin, and anti-virus software on the central mail
servers. All messages accepted by the mail servers are scanned for viruses,
and messages identified as mass-mail virus carrier messages are discarded.

Messages from hosts outside our academic/administrative network are scanned by
SpamAssassin and scored for suspect spam. We support a user-controlled server-
side email filtering service which can be used for blacklisting, whitelisting,
and filtering based on sender address, subject line, or SpamAssassin score.
Filter rules are stored in the user's LDAP directory entry and retrieved when
the message is delivered to the user's mailbox on the central mailstore.

--
Paul Russell
Senior Systems Administrator