[unisog] .edu's who use SpamCop?

Hunt,Keith A keith at uakron.edu
Wed Dec 17 15:24:03 GMT 2003

I am not definitely not impressed by their header parsing techniques.

They have sent us some complaints which showed nothing more than that we
had accepted a message for one of our users.

On one occasion we had our mail gateway blacklisted because it accepted
an unwanted message for one of our users and delivered it to him through
our own mail server.  SpamCop justified this by claiming that our
gateway was accepting forged headers which was just as bad as actually
being a spam source.  Turned out not to be the case anyway, so they
claimed the user must have changed the IP address in the header before
he sent it to them.  Maybe he did, although I wouldn't know why.  Even
if he did, so what?  It shouldn't be that easy to get somebody
blacklisted.

On the positive side, it wasn't too difficult to get them to remove the
blacklisting.  I have had more trouble in that regard with some other
blacklisting entities.

I am unlikely to ever give up control of what mail we accept to some
folks who have their own agenda.  No matter how much they may be trying
to do a good thing, the decisions made and the techniques employed are
done in a fairly opaque manner.  I might choose to blindly trust their
wisdom and expertise on a personal level but I can't do that on behalf
of 30,000 other people.  This applies not just to SpamCop but to any of
these services.  With the proper contractual safeguards in place, we
might rethink that policy.  Without such safeguards, I might use such a
list to help score the "spamminess" of mail but I would never reject it
outright.

Keith Hunt  330.972.7968  keith at uakron.edu
Internet & Server Systems
The University of Akron