[unisog] .edu's who use SpamCop?

Jethro R Binks jethro.binks at strath.ac.uk
Wed Dec 17 18:34:15 GMT 2003

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003, Daniel Feenberg wrote:

> Delivery to a special spam folder is often suggested as an alternative to
> discarding it. If the user has to scan the spam folder regularly, the
> procedure doesn't achieve anything, however.

I'd disagree with this from two points of view.

It is much easier to scan a folder of almost-certainly spam looking for
the odd false positive, than it is to scan a folder of mixed spam and
legit mail.  While it does still require a bit of time, it keeps the user
in the loop, and lets them make their own decisions directly.  Which leads
me to...

Perhaps more importantly, it places the onus for deletion on the user -
therefore, you can't be held accountable for any wrongly deleted mail.
Politically, this is a much safer way to go!

Actually, at this site, we use SpamAssassin to delete mail without comment
over a high score threshold (pretty much guaranteed spam), and tag the
rest in various ways to let users do what they will with it in their mail
client.  We may devise ways of them setting preferences for us to
automatically handle scored mail for them at some point.

Jethro.

Jethro R Binks
Computing Officer, IT Services
University Of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK