[unisog] .edu's who use SpamCop?

Sylvain Robitaille syl at alcor.concordia.ca
Thu Dec 18 16:47:30 GMT 2003

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:

> So there *are* cases where it would false-positive....

I will grant that vt.edu may see some false-positives if they were to
implement my check without some modification, perhaps, to allow for
hosts known to roam.

However, there aren't any instances where a host in .Concordia.CA would
be likely to roam, so perhaps I need to rephrase my statement and
suggest that for our environment, I can't think of a case which will
result in false positives.

For different environments, the beauty of using someone else's Perl
code is that it's generally very easy to modify.  If I found out about
a handful of hosts in our environment that were known to roam (and the
owner could not be convinced to reconfigure mail software to use a "local"
SMTP server when it does roam), I would simply add an exclusion list to
my current check.  Spammers using hostnames in the exclusion list would
not be blocked outright based on the HELO argument.

For "most" users, it would be a simple reconfiguration of the client
software to use a "local" SMTP server.  Our users would have to do that
anyway, unless they were communicating only with users in our domain.

Sylvain Robitaille                              syl at alcor.concordia.ca

Systems analyst / Postmaster                      Concordia University
Instructional & Information Technology        Montreal, Quebec, Canada