[unisog] .edu's who use SpamCop?

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Dec 19 16:05:33 GMT 2003

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 09:03:23 GMT, Mike Meredith <mike.meredith at port.ac.uk>  said:

> From RFC2821: "The argument field contains the fully-qualified domain
> name of the SMTP client if one is available."
>
> In other words 'turing-police.cc.vt.edu' is flat wrong unless you're
> connecting from a machine whose FQDN is that.

OK, you got me there.  I'll see your Section 4.1.1.1 and raise you a Section 4.1.4:

   An SMTP server MAY verify that the domain name parameter in the EHLO
   command actually corresponds to the IP address of the client.
   However, the server MUST NOT refuse to accept a message for this
   reason if the verification fails: the information about verification
   failure is for logging and tracing only.