Can an SUS server be pointed to with multiple DNS names?

Gary Flynn flynngn at jmu.edu
Fri Dec 19 16:33:06 GMT 2003

Hi,

Can I configure different clients with different DNS names
to the same SUS server. They'll all resolve to the same
IP address initially.

I thought I'd heard of problems if the SUS configuration item
below didn't match the client configuration:

"Specify the name your clients use to locate this update server:"

If they have to match, anyone know why?

I'd like to do this so if we decide to deploy different
SUS servers for different populations later a client
reconfiguration won't be necessary.

For example, clients may have any of the following configured:

http://sus1.jmu.edu
http://sus2.jmu.edu
http://sus3.jmu.edu

All resolving to the same IP address.