[unisog] Strange packets to random addresses in our network

Pete Hickey pete at shadows.uottawa.ca
Mon Dec 29 01:11:16 GMT 2003

On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 10:46:53AM +1300, Russell Fulton wrote:

> About a week a go we started seeing a steady trickle (1100 over the last
> 3 days) of these packet hitting our network.  Source address is always
> the same (69.20.46.210) as is the source port (443) destination port and
> address appear to be random.

I'm seeing the something similar.  Last Sunday and Monday, there
was about 2000/day.  Since then, it has only been about 180/day.
Same as you...random port.

> I doubt if this is malicious, my first thought that it might be fall out
> from a DoS on 69.20.46.210 but it has been going on for a week now so
> that seems unlikely.

Looks to me like some kind of back-scatter from a DDoS... (But I would
think the SYN would be set)  Looks like last Sun/Mon was the brunt of
the attack.  What has been going on since Mon is probably just
some residual noise that isn't effecting  them that much.