[unisog] earlier report of SQL slapper worm

H. Morrow Long morrow.long at yale.edu
Sat Feb 1 18:04:14 GMT 2003

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> The point was that the lack of randomness was found in TCP stacks that had
> supposedly been intentionally hardened to create unpredictable ISNs.  We're
> talking here about code from major vendors who were motivated to do it right.
>
> It's not at all surprising that J Random Hacker does an even worse job.

Valdis (and Robert Dormer) - I agree that that is a very good point.

There is also a good analysis of the worm (which includes a critique of the
random IP address number generation flaws in it) out.  I'm forwarding this
announcement of the analysis on the speed and spread of the worm (forwarded
from SECURITY at LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU) posted to the NANOG (North American
Network Operators Group) list.

Apparently the worm attained a highly successful penetration rate in its first
10 minutes after 12:30am, making for a speed and spread which outperformed the
prediction of the 'Andy Warhol worm' USENIX Security 02 paper (2002 by Nicholas
Weaver, Vern Paxton and others involved in the analysis of the Sapphire/Slammer
worm and available at: http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~nweaver/cdc.web/).

Morrow