Spammers compromising systems

E. Larry Lidz ellidz at eridu.uchicago.edu
Thu Feb 6 22:11:43 GMT 2003

We've seen a couple of machines in the last couple of days which were
compromised by intruders and which have had a program called WinGate
installed on it. Part of WinGate appears to be an SMTP agent which the
intruders use to send spam through the system.

I don't recall us ever having seen spammers actually break into
systems before. It doesn't come as a major surprise, but I thought I'd
mention it as I suspect it to become as common place as intruders
breaking into machines to set up sites to distribute copyrighted
materials.

-Larry

---
E. Larry Lidz                                        Phone: +1 773 702-2208
Sr. Network Security Officer                         Fax:   +1 773 834-8444
Network Security Center, The University of Chicago
PGP: http://security.uchicago.edu/centerinfo/pgpkeys.shtml