[unisog] justification

James Davis james.davis at st-peters.oxford.ac.uk
Mon Feb 24 17:16:10 GMT 2003

> Her conclusion though was that the really costly incidents were the
> ones where the techies got interested in "what happened here?" and
> spent lots of time analyzing the exploit, forensics, et al.  Secondary
> conclusion: if you want to save $$ don't do this;  when a system is
> cracked, wipe, reinstall, get back to business, let it go.
>
> Not saying I fully endorse this strategy, though it's obvious how this
> conclusion can easily be reached.  Just reporting what I heard.

I've lost the original message but I was thinking about this recently. I'm
not convinced this is a valid conclusion. Is it the "techie"'s interest
that causes the expense or is it the "techie" being more interested in
investigating complex, technical and probably more expensive incidents?

James

James Davis           \        james.davis at st-peters.ox.ac.uk
St. Peter's College     \
PGP Key ID : 0x7E1F718A   \  http://users.ox.ac.uk/~spet1067/