[unisog] Best Security Conferences / Training?

Brian Reilly reillyb at georgetown.edu
Tue Feb 25 14:58:58 GMT 2003

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 Phil.Rodrigues at uconn.edu wrote:

> I am in the position of trying to figure out the best way to spend my
> limited training and travel budget for the next year.  (This is a good
> thing: last year I paid for it all out of my own pocket!)
>
> What are the best network security-related conferences and training you
> have attended?  Is there a national .edu network security conference?
> (Should there be?)

Phil,

There's the Educause Security Professionals Workshop
(http://www.educause.edu/conference/security/2003/) this summer, which is
scheduled in conjunction with the first Secure-IT Conference
(http://www.secureitconf.com/default.html).  The Educause security
workshops and the occasional SANS University workshops are the closest
thing to a "national .edu network security conference" that I can think
of.

As far as other recommendations for conferences and training, it really
depends on what specific topics you're looking for.  I've gotten a lot out
of the Usenix Security conferences, as they offer both "standard"
conference training and discussions about emerging projects, tools,
threats, etc.

--Brian