[unisog] New Virus or Attack?

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Mon Feb 3 18:54:36 GMT 2003

On Mon, 03 Feb 2003 10:48:25 CST, "Harris, Michael C." <HarrisMC at health.missouri.edu>  said:

> Yes, we block 137 at our border, but I am curious how much noise the backbone
 carriers
> route about that we just end up blocking at each of our borders.  What is the
 cost of hauling
> this traffic?

Your provider has a name for this cost.  It's called "revenue".

I'm trying hard to not be cynical, but a lot of Tier-1 providers are going
to make a killing off SQL-Slapper, since many contracts are on the basis of
total volume, or a flat rate for the first N megabits/sec, plus a hefty
surcharge for bursts above that rate.  So if somebody is on a gigE port,
paying for 400 mbits/sec plus a burst surcharge, the ISP gets rich if the
company has a Slapper burn for the weekend.....

I suspect we won't see any sane filtering policies from ISPs as long as
there's a financial dis-incentive to do so....
--
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Computer Systems Senior Engineer