[unisog] justification

Patrick Nolan pnolan01 at nycap.rr.com
Wed Feb 12 16:25:40 GMT 2003

RIAA is in legally in touch with many Universities about what they think is legally allowable on their networks. Perhaps some admins will post the relevant info. It is a fact that one major U is responding to the threatened litigation and potential liability with traffic throttling solutions and policy development and implementation.

As far as liability and standards related to, say, a U's e-commerce related sites, here's a great settlement link;
August 28, 2002
 MAJOR TECH PUBLISHER REACHES AGREEMENT WITH ATTORNEY GENERAL ON E-COMMERCE SECURITY STANDARDS
http://www.oag.state.ny.us/press/2002/aug/aug28a_02.html

fwiw, last year there was also an information leak that allowed the names of prozac(?) users to know each other's e-mail addresses, there was another 6 figure settlement in that case. And if your universities health services database unintentionally disclosed, say, information relative to the mental health treatment of students and faculty (HIPPA applies), that'd sure be funny and certainly result in some liability ( ; ^ ).

Pat