[unisog] tamper sealing of network ports

Simon Kissler Simon.Kissler at valpo.edu
Fri Feb 14 17:36:07 GMT 2003

Let me give more detail on the scenario. We have technicians who test and
repair network ports at the end of the spring semester. Then the dorms are
used for conferences and similar activities. Mysteriously at the beginning
of the fall semester we have a quite significant amount of ports that are
damaged when our students move in causing us not only public relations
issues but also use of staff time at an already hectic time. We would like
to seal the ports when we are done testing them in a way that the student
can remove the seal and use it in the fall, but conference services staff
can easily verify the seal (even if it has been re-placed) and charge a
fee to the group that was using the facilities during a given time span.

Depending on the cost and applicability we would also like to use this
when we test ports/connectivity for special events to guarantee a working
port.

-S

Simon Kissler                                   Simon.Kissler at valpo.edu
UNIX Systems Administrator			Phone: (219) 464 6773
Electronic Information Services                 Fax  : (219) 464 5381
Valparaiso University
Kretzmann Hall B22
Valparaiso, IN 46383

                "For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
                The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'"
                       -John Greenleaf Whittier, "Maud Muller"