[unisog] Somewhat OT: End User Gigabit Port Cost models?

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Thu Jan 16 05:50:57 GMT 2003

On Wed, 15 Jan 2003 17:59:14 EST, Steve Bernard <sbernard at gmu.edu>  said:
> Can you provide a little bit of detail regarding what is driving this
> initiative and what you hope to gain from it?

If Don's setup is anything like ours, their networking group is cost-recovery,
and bills for things (our network services is also the campus phone company).

So a "user" (in our case, it's computing center, but we're CNS users just like
the students and profs are - we're all buying bandwidth) asks for a gigE port,
and the network group has to come up with a price per month to bill us....

/Valdis (who got to watch this from the sidelines recently ;)