[unisog] Somewhat OT: End User Gigabit Port Cost models?

Steve Bernard sbernard at gmu.edu
Thu Jan 16 17:58:35 GMT 2003

Knowing a little about the current infrastructure and planned upgrades will
assist in providing the best advice on how to build the pricing model. It
sounded to me like he may already know how to price a standard port but that
gigabit is something new to their environment and he is asking for advice
about how to price it out on a predominantly 100Mb network. I assume that a
per-host accounting system, like Argus, is not in place to allow for
per-usage charges. Equipment costs may be straight-forward but, that depends
upon how unique these requests are, and the current and planned capabilities
of the network and installed equipment.

Price model aside, I am also curious about the applications or services that
people are using which require gigabit throughput to the desktop. In my
experience, many technologies that are championed to drive 'gigabit to the
desktop' are limited more by the desktop PC than by the available bandwidth,
and could be accomplished with 100Mb capability at the desktop. I've seen
numerous cases in which desktop gigabit was proposed as a solution to
throughput problems when the culprit was a badly engineered and managed
network, and inefficient networked applications. I've seen gig-fiber run in
an attempt to improve video conferencing performance when the problem was
that the terminals were crap.

Steve