[unisog] Somewhat OT: End User Gigabit Port Cost models?

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Thu Jan 16 19:29:38 GMT 2003

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 12:58:35 EST, Steve Bernard <sbernard at gmu.edu>  said:

> Price model aside, I am also curious about the applications or services that
> people are using which require gigabit throughput to the desktop.

We don't have any "end-user" gigabit.  We've got gigabit to a *very* few
server boxes (multi-terabyte file servers, large high-usage database boxes,
and the like).  At peak loads, these boxes *can* sustain more than the
12Mbytes/sec or so traffic that is the 100mbit limit.

We've not seen any applications that require gigabit to the desktop.   And
there's a certain pushback to the concept - ubiquitous gigabit would require
some major buildout on the backbone to support it...