[unisog] Echo and Chargen

Peter Van Epp vanepp at sfu.ca
Tue Jan 21 20:05:23 GMT 2003

On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 01:35:21PM -0600, Mary M. Chaddock wrote:
> I've noticed a slew of computers with ports 7 and 19 open. This appears to
> be a recent development.  I've also seen network traffic on these ports.
> Does anyone know what is going on?
>
> Thanks,
> -mary.
>
> Mary M. Chaddock, GSEC, GCUX
> Network Security Administrator

	Spam Assassin (I think) is probing (unsuccessfully) our spam processing
host on port 7 on a regular basis after we make a query to them, (but doesn't
appear to care that it doesn't get a reply), There were a handful of other
probes to various machines as well but nothing that looks orginized in the
argus logs. We saw a port scan up the net from a cable modem for 19 this
morning but nothing else in the last 24 hours. So at least here (yet) there
doesn't seem to be much unusual going on.