[unisog] Wiping hard drives before computer transfer

Ben Compton Ben.Compton at sw.edu
Sun Jan 26 18:49:04 GMT 2003

I'm posting what our campus does for both information and a bit of feedback.

We picked up a tool from Gateway called GWSCAN.  It has a very handy feature
of writing zeros to a drive.  The upside ..it's free and available online
(at least at one time it was online).  The downside...it takes forever..a
20GB drive is about 4-5 hours of work to zero.  The program is DOS based and
should be run from a boot disk.

I've had data recovery people tell me that they know of nothing that will
recover the data (within reason of course).  Have I been fed a line on this
or have I figured out a good way to take care of my old drives?

Ben C.