[unisog] Wiping hard drives before computer transfer

Pascal Meunier pmeunier at purdue.edu
Mon Jan 27 16:23:07 GMT 2003

On 1/27/03 10:47 AM, "Larry Sheldon" <lsheldon at creighton.edu> wrote:

> If it were my job to worry about that, I'd probably find an old-fashioned
> tape degauser (looks sort of like a modern microwave or toaster oven, no heat)
> and soak the drive for ten minutes and call it a day.
>
> YMMV

That doesn't work.  You can't erase a modern hard drive that way.  It used
to work on the old ones, but now even powerful degausers can't get through
all the platters -- the outside platters shield the inner ones from the
magnetic field.  Note that the degaussers for sale at Radio Shack can barely
erase a floppy disk.  I put some floppies I thought I had erased into a Mac,
and after working for a few minutes, the mac offered to repair the disk...
Another floppy was able to crash Win 98 repeatedly, but that's another
story.

Pascal Meunier