[unisog] Long distance charges, Sao Tome and AT&T

Peter Van Epp vanepp at sfu.ca
Wed Jan 29 16:25:21 GMT 2003

On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 07:00:18PM -0500, Anderson Johnston wrote:

> I've got a weird one.
>
> A student (who lives at home) told me that her mother received a phone
> bill from AT&T with a long distance charge to Sao Tome, a small island
> nation of the west coast of Africa (www.sao-tome.com).  The student uses
> our dial-up modems to get an Internet connection.

<snip>

	There was a scam reported here in the papers (a very reliable source
:-)) where a web site in Russia was shutting off the sound to the modem,
disconnecting and then redialing to a site in Russia with a very high tarrif
and continuing the connection seamlessly. The same sort of scam would work in
this case and seems more likely. The remote site then gets the subscriber
number because the subscriber called them and the telco billing system does its
thing (which they are usually reluctant to reverse since they have the record
of the call ...).