ms .lnk attachments

Russell Fulton r.fulton at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Jan 9 20:25:44 GMT 2003

Hi All,
we have a filter in place that quarantines all mail messages with
attachments that have double extensions where the second one is
executable.  This works quite well but we get a few false +ves almost
all of which are people sending shortcuts (.lnk) to other files.

My question is how dangerous are .lnk attachments?  Will oulook
automatically download and run a ...exe.lnk for example?

Is it worth filtering them at all?

"It aint necessarily so"  - Gershwin