[unisog] Echo and Chargen

STeve Andre' andres at msu.edu
Tue Jan 21 19:48:30 GMT 2003

Gosh, I feel old.  I can remember the days when you wanted
such ports open, so it was possiblle to test things.  Guess I'm
showing my age.

If you are seeing network traffic on those ports--like going to
somehwere else on the net--it's almost 100% certain that the
machine is being fondled by a script kiddie who thinks such
antics are good fun.

Sigh.  Close then up and remember a net of years past when
feral creatues did not posess the ability to climb into the net....

I wonder if some new Linux release has these open, to help
account for the increase?

--STeve Andre' (MSU Dept of Political Science computer geek)