Results of Brief VPN / Firewall Survey

Phil.Rodrigues at uconn.edu Phil.Rodrigues at uconn.edu
Wed Jan 22 16:51:09 GMT 2003

I recently sent out a survey to Universities to informally gauge their
deployment of VPNs and Firewalls on their networks.  The questions that I
asked were:

1.) Do you have any sort of VPN concentrator in your network?  Is it for a
your entire organization, or it is only for a small set of users?

2.) Do you have any sort of firewall(s) in your network?  Does it protect
your entire network (at the border), or does it/they protect smaller, more
sensitive sub-networks?

I got back 48 usable responses.  Since my questions were not totally
scientific, I got back various types of answers - some detailed, some
brief.  I took the liberty of breaking them down into the following
categories:

(# of responses / % of total)

VPN
Yes     38 / 79%
No      10 / 21%

Border Firewall
Yes     17 / 35%
ACLs    17 / 35%
No      14 / 29%

Internal Firewall(s)
Yes     42 / 88%
No      6 / 13%

Most schools that said they did not have any VPN service in place also
indicated they were looking into evaluating them for deployment in the
near-ish future.  I decided to include "ACLs" as a category of border
firewalls since so many people responded they used access-control lists on
their routers to protect their network from some limited types of external
traffic.

Many people asked that I not share their specific answers with anyone
else, but I thought it would be useful to show which schools were
represented.  Apologies if I mangled your institution's name!

Boston College
Boston U
Cornell
Dartmouth
DePaul
Fed Inst of Tech, Zurich Switz
Georgetown
Harvard
Illinois State U
James Madison U
Johnson and Wales
Kent State
Longwood U
Loyola
Mane Univ System
Michigan State
No Dakota Univ System
Northwestern
Notre Dame
Ohio State U
Rensselaer Polytechnic Inst
RI School of Design
Rutgers
Southern CT State U
SUNY - ITEC
SUNY Binghamton
Tufts
U of Auckland, New Zealand
U of Delaware
U of Hartford
U of Illinois UC
U of Mass
U of Minnesota
U of New Hampshire
U of North Carolina
U of Rochester Med
U of Rode Island
U of Virginia
U Ottawa, CA
U Tennessee
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UC Riverside
UC San Diego
UC Santa Barbara
Washington U, St Louis
Yale
York U, Canada

Thanks to everyone who responded.  I may follow up with these 48 schools
with a slightly more "scientific" survey, and if that seems interesting I
will share it with the group.

Phil

Philip A. Rodrigues
Network Analyst, UITS