[unisog] Wiping hard drives before computer transfer

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Mon Jan 27 17:21:41 GMT 2003

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 09:00:18 EST, Daniel Feenberg said:

>  The references Gutmann provides suggest that his piece is much
>  overwrought. None of the references lead to examples of sensitive
>  information being disclosed. Rather, they refer to experiments where STM
>  microscopy was used to examine individual bits, and some evidence of
>  previously written bits was found.

And that was 7 years ago, and now there's an entire industry doing this.

http://www.dataclinic.co.uk/data-recovery.htm

>  Data recovery when the required data has been overwritten

> Accidentally ghosting an image over the top of valuable data is a very common
> form of data loss; it's also a technique used by disgruntled employees and
> criminals who wish to cover their tracks. By physically overwriting valuable
> data with other 'junk' data, you would think that the original data would be
> unrecoverable... You'd be wrong. The Data Clinic are able to recover original
> data that has been overwritten multiple times.

I'm assuming that they're not advertising services that they are unable to
actually provide.

Google for "+disk +recover +overwritten +service", there's other companies too.

Or build your own and see if it's doable.

http://sxm4.uni-muenster.de/introduction-en.html
--
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Computer Systems Senior Engineer