[unisog] Wiping hard drives before computer transfer

Jim Dillon Jim.Dillon at cusys.edu
Mon Jan 27 16:46:14 GMT 2003

Ben,

Depends on what's on them, and how comfortable you are with being a target of opportunity vs. a target of choice.  How sensitive is the data, and how strong is your obligation to protect?

In most cases, degaussing or re-writing should be enough due-diligence to provide evidence of diligence on your behalf, freeing you from liability risk, and making the prospect of decoding the drive a "target of choice" proposition.

Unless you have serious privacy, sensitivity, or proprietary interest in the content, any number of the suggested routines are likely to be fine.  For your classified or sensitive research, you probably have requirements for the handling of data that will define what you need to do.

So yeah, if you are dealing with plans for a thermonuclear device or creating biological weapons in a jello mold, then melt the thing.  If you have a bunch of patient information, break the platters in some fashion.

When HD's of multiple Gigabytes can be had for well under $100, it isn't worth reusing them, so don't fret about it, break/crush them/drill them - no one operating under "target of opportunity" motives will invest the time to mess with one.  Trying to secure past that is only worth doing if you are obligated by the nature and sensitivity of the data.  Investing even an hour of your time in recycling a disk is a losing proposition for your employer in the long run.

Like locks on doors, we generally strive to prevent the haphazard and casual breaches of security - and we live with that for all but the most sensitive operations.  The same model probably applies to your data - if it is protected in the daytime by the equivalent to a locked door, you've most likely been diligent enough by basic erases, unless you're talking "diamonds" in value.  I'm betting 95% or higher don't have that kind of value or sensitivity.

If the data is of that value, then you are under constant (and probably higher) threat before the disk is recycled - this should make it easy to determine what data needs to be carefully destroyed - and again, forget the re-use proposition, it probably is not cost-effective.

My advice alone - but I'd audit to this standard, I think I could justify this stance pretty readily by looking at the Federal Sentencing Guidelines and doing a little financial analysis.

Jim