scanning for ms sql systems

Stephen W. Thompson thompson at pobox.upenn.edu
Tue Jan 28 16:00:01 GMT 2003

Russell Fulton, Computer and Network Security Officer, wrote:

> I first scanned out network (using nmap) for udp 1434 and found it very
> unreliable, both false +ves and -ves.  I then fell back to tcp 1433.
>
> Does anyone know if this is sufficient to detect a potentially
> vulnerable system -- ie one running either MS SQL of MSDE.

I find comments about UDP scanning by Fyodor in his(?) nmap
distribution helpful.   See, for instance, these:

  http://www.insecure.org/nmap/nmap_doc.html
  http://www.insecure.org/nmap/data/nmap_manpage.html

En paz,
Steve, security analyst
--
Stephen W. Thompson, UPenn, ISC Information Security, 215-898-1236, WWW has PGP
thompson at isc.upenn.edu    URL=http://pobox.upenn.edu/~thompson/index.html