[unisog] Lifting backbone port 1434/udp blocks

Mike Iglesias iglesias at draco.acs.uci.edu
Tue Jan 28 19:23:20 GMT 2003

We had blocks in place for tcp 1433 and udp 1434 before last friday,
so we didn't get much of a hit from the latest incident.

We don't have any plans to unblock those ports - anyone who needs
sql access to the internet can ask for their specific system to
be unblocked, but I see no need to expose sql servers on campus
to the internet.  There are a few who needed internet access to their
sql servers, and they know the risks of doing that and are diligent
in keeping their systems up to date on patches.

Mike Iglesias                          Internet:    iglesias at draco.acs.uci.edu
University of California, Irvine       phone:       949-824-6926
Network & Academic Computing Services  FAX:         949-824-2069