[unisog] Lifting backbone port 1434/udp blocks

Ken Connelly Ken.Connelly at uni.edu
Tue Jan 28 19:29:45 GMT 2003

Phil.Rodrigues at uconn.edu wrote:

>On the flip side of that - how long do folks expect to continue blocking
>of UDP 1434 at the border?
>
>We first blocked TCP and UDP 1433 and 1434 in and out on Saturday morning,
>but this morning changed that to just UDP 1434 in and out.  We may allow
>outbound traffic soon, so I can more easily see those hosts that are still
>infected but not showing up on our radar.

We've been blocking inbound 1433 for quite a while, and don't intend to
remove it.  1434 was added in the wee hours Saturday morning, and
probably will remain as well, at least for a while.

>Our first level-ISP is the state educational network, which is blocking
>the same as us (at our recommendation).

Our provider is also a state network.  They said they were going to
block 1434 when I asked them about it, but I don't think they ever did,
and they certainly aren't doing it now.

>Our first commercial provider,
>Qwest, did not block any of this traffic.
>
>Phil
>
>=======================================
>Philip A. Rodrigues
>Network Analyst, UITS
>University of Connecticut
>
>email: phil.rodrigues at uconn.edu
>phone: 860.486.3743
>fax: 860.486.6580
>web: http://www.security.uconn.edu
>=======================================
>

>"Martin, James E." <martin at more.net>
>01/28/2003 11:43 AM
>

>        To:
><unisog at sans.org>
>        cc:
>        Subject:        [unisog] Lifting backbone port 1434/udp blocks
>

>What have your upstream providers done about dropping/blocking/null
>routing port 1434/udp over the last few days?
>
>If they did stop passing 1434/udp, have they lifted that restriction yet?
>
>TIA!
>Jim

>James E. Martin
>martin2more.net
>MOREnet Network Security Coordinator
>University of Missouri System

- Ken
Ken Connelly (KC152) Systems and Operations Manager, ITS - Network Services
University of Northern Iowa                     Cedar Falls, IA  50614-0121
email: Ken.Connelly at uni.edu    phone: (319) 273-5850    fax: (319) 273-7373