Windows security out of the box

millar at isc.upenn.edu millar at isc.upenn.edu
Wed Jul 23 19:14:06 GMT 2003

I've asked Dell and IBM  if they could configure new XP boxes so that end
users are strongly encouraged to choose strong Administrator
passwords.  The proposed solution seems like it will be unnecessarily
confusing to some of our users and I'm wondering if anyone else has made
any better arrangements with Dell and/or IBM.  Here's what Dell has proposed:

The first thing the new Windows box owner sees when they boot
out-of-the-box is Windows Mini-Setup (the screen dialogue that every new
user goes through when they start up a brand new Windows machine).  During
Windows Mini-Setup the user is presented with a screen to choose a password
for the Administrator account, but whatever the user types will ultimately
be ignored (see below).  At this point the user can type anything for an
Administrator password or nothing -- it's a moot point since whatever they
type will not be set as the password on the Administrator account.   In
fact our draft instructions currently tell people to simply type *nothing*
for password at this stage of Mini-Setup.

When the user completes Windows Mini-Setup, the machine reboots.  At the
Windows welcome screen, a dialog box appears, saying: "Your password
expires today. Do you want to change it now?"   Assuming they take the
default, "yes" they are first asked to type their old password (which,
you'll recall from above,  is null no matter what they typed back in
Mini-setup).  They're also asked to choose a new password and re-enter it
for verification.

OK - so I'm willing to accept the part that you can lead a horse to water,
but you can't make him drink (i.e. you can make it the default to choose a
strong Administrator password, but users determined to leave their box wide
open can always change policy settings or choose to ignore the password
expiration warning at boot time.)

But the part that is unsatisfying is the bogus Administrator password
screen prompt that Windows Mini-Setup presents the user with, and which is
subsequently ignored.  Many users will type something as a password,
despite our written instructions otherwise.  And human nature is to assume
that the password "took."   So when the box reboots and the user is asked
to enter their old password before they can choose a new, strong password,
human nature is to enter whatever they entered as the Admin password back
in Windows Mini-Setup.  They will then get an error message and won't be
able to proceed unless they leave the "old password" field blank.

Has anyone gotten Dell, IBM or Microsoft to provide a more satisfying, and
less potentially confusing out-of-the-box end user interface that results
in the user being strongly encouraged to choose a strong password for the
Administrator account?

Thanks in advance,
Dave Millar
University Information Security Officer