FWD: [SECURITY] bugbear variant

Phil.Rodrigues at uconn.edu Phil.Rodrigues at uconn.edu
Thu Jun 5 21:26:57 GMT 2003

(Apologies to anyone who already got this on the Educause list.)

We got hit with this today before Norton Antivirus came out with the
definitions.  Hopefully the defs will get updated automatically in the
next day or so, but we are prompting folks to manually update their defs
ASAP.  Our mail servers are protected with generic defs (looking for
dangerous attachments, etc) but we had to update one of them manually with
the exact def.

Infected hosts have a backdoor on 1080 (and maybe the range around that)
open.  It leaves behind a password stealer that Norton was unable to
remove with a scan, nor was it able to automatically quarantine the file.
As of now it looks like infected hosts should be formatted completely.

Good luck!

Phil

=======================================
Philip A. Rodrigues
Network Analyst, UITS
University of Connecticut

email: phil.rodrigues at uconn.edu
phone: 860.486.3743
fax: 860.486.6580
web: http://www.security.uconn.edu

----- Forwarded by Phil Rodrigues/ITS/InformationServices/UConn on
06/05/2003 05:25 PM -----

"Bruhn, Mark S." <mbruhn at INDIANA.EDU>
Sent by: The EDUCAUSE Security Discussion Group Listserv
<SECURITY at LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>
06/05/2003 03:43 PM
Please respond to The EDUCAUSE Security Discussion Group Listserv