[unisog] FWD: [SECURITY] bugbear variant

Phil.Rodrigues at uconn.edu Phil.Rodrigues at uconn.edu
Fri Jun 6 14:03:01 GMT 2003

We use Norton Antivirus for client protection, and clients get mail into
the network from other sources than official uconn.edu mailservers.
Hotmail and Yahoo being the most common.  Our mail servers (like most of
yours) do not accept most common "bad" attachment types, and they use
Sophos which detected this fairly early.

However, to sit back and say "our mailservers are safe, we will not have a
problem with this" is not accurate.  There are other ways to get mail into
our networks besides our central mail servers, unless you block HTTP/S or
all possible webmail sources.  Our desktop clients do not use push
definition updates - they must pull them down at set intervals (hopefully
once per day).  If they get this virus through Hotmail before their client
has pulled down the new defs, they get infected and start to resend the
virus across the LAN, its own SMTP engine, etc.  If the recipients of that
mail happen to be @uconn.edu our mail gateway will stop the virus.  If
they send to the @yahoo.com address of another professor, who executes the
attachment and does not have current defs pulled down, the virus will
spread.  Not to mention the people who for whatever reason do not have
antivirus installed.

Sorry to be so long winded, but yes - I do think you missed something.
Protecting the mail gateway is a large part of this battle, but not the
entire battle.

Phil

=======================================
Philip A. Rodrigues