[unisog] Gartner: IDS a Failure, Firewalls Recommended

Russell Fulton r.fulton at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Jun 12 20:23:44 GMT 2003

On Fri, 2003-06-13 at 07:22, Douglas Brown wrote:
> According to Richard Stiennon, research vice president for Gartner (who
> was formerly director of business development for Checkpoint): Intrusion
> detection systems have failed to provide value relative to its cost and
> will be obsolete by the year 2005...
>
> http://thewhir.com/marketwatch/gar061103.cfm

As always, it is horses for courses and in academic environments where
we have fairly open FWs (if any) then I see stand alone NIDSs playing a
useful role well into the future.

Actually if you read the article carefully Stiennon says that the
functionality is moving into FWs and that (by implication) stand alone
NIDs will disappear, not that NIDs functionality is a waste of time.

--
Russell Fulton, Network Security Officer, The University of Auckland,
New Zealand.