[unisog] Necessary ICMP traffic and the SANS/FBI top 20 Vulnerabilities

Mike Cojocea msc39 at georgetown.edu
Mon Jun 16 19:00:57 GMT 2003

I think first off all we should make a distinction between DMZ and
INSIDE networks.

You will have to be pretty restrictive with the INSIDE and you could be
a bit more lax with the DMZ.

Blocking all ICMP datagrams is not always a good idea. To INSIDE you
would need to allow:
- Echo reply;
- Type 3 Destination Unreachable;
- TTL Exceeded.

Also You should allow fragmentation needed which is necessary for Path
MTU Discovery.

I would certainly block ICMP Source Quench, router discovery protocol,
and ICMP redirects.
Using Source Quench somebody can mount a very nice DOS attack.

Mike
Mike Cojocea, CISSP

Network Security Analyst
Georgetown University