PlanetLab

E. Larry Lidz ellidz at uchicago.edu
Thu Jun 26 12:49:59 GMT 2003

Of those of you participating in PlanetLab (http://www.planetlab.org),
what do you think of it from an acceptable use perspective? We are
participating in it, but at the moment have the network port disabled.
We received complaints of the machine scanning machines off campus. It
appears that this is an intended part of the research. Further, the
researcher doing the network scanning is not a member of our
University. This seems to be a fairly direct violation of our
acceptable use policy.

I would be extremely interested in how PlanetLab's requirements are
being met at other Universities without causing acceptable use issues.

If people could send responses to me, I'll summarize them for the list.

Thanks,
-Larry

---
E. Larry Lidz                                        Phone: +1 773 702-2208
Sr. Network Security Officer                         Fax:   +1 773 834-8444
Network Security Center, The University of Chicago
PGP: http://security.uchicago.edu/centerinfo/pgpkeys.shtml