[unisog] Notifying ISP of virus spreading computers

Daniel Adinolfi dra1 at cornell.edu
Fri Jun 27 13:58:10 GMT 2003

On Friday, Jun 27, 2003, at 09:38 US/Eastern, Gary Flynn wrote:
>> Cornell University will send a notice to the ISP for each complaint
>> we receive regarding viruses that are trying to propagate on our
>> campus, email-based or not.
> Followup question:
> Do you only respond to complaints or actively check logs and respond
> to all viruses?

Greetings,

We will typically only respond to complaints.  The sheer volume of the
viruses that are caught by our mail servers and PC anti-virus software
is too high for us to contact all the sources of those viruses.

We do have some automated traffic reports that occasionally catch
behavior that turns out to be viruses.  This traffic analysis is not
looking for viruses specifically, though.  In those cases, we may
contact the ISP without a complaint from a customer.  This is not
common, though.

-Dan