[unisog] Email Server Software

Eric Pierce epierce at usf.edu
Tue Mar 11 12:56:06 GMT 2003

We've been using CommuniGate Pro since Dec. 2001 and I've been really
happy with it.  We moved from Sun Internet Mail (the predecessor to
SunOne) and it has solved many of the headaches we had.  I think it's
the best mail system available for large email systems, we've got over
70,000 accounts and it chugs along just fine on an old E35000.

However, It would probably be overkill (and overpriced) in your
environment.  With only 500 accounts, you should look at some of the
Free systems that are available.  Use Postfix as your SMTP server,
UW-IMAP or Cyrus for IMAP & POP3 access, and one of the nice web-based
Email clients, like IMP or SquirrelMail.  You could have a comparable
system running in a couple of days and it would be totally free.  If you
decided to run it on a Linux box, all of these are even included on the
RedHat (and most other distributions) installation CDs.

-Eric