Question: Spam-for-Pay

Anderson Johnston andy at umbc.edu
Wed Mar 19 20:58:17 GMT 2003

Question - Has anyone on the list encountered PC software which spams the
known universe in return for a payment of some form to the owner of the
PC?

Problem - We are picking up commercial spam from our residential network.
So far, it looks like the offending PC's were compromised and turned into
open relays.  I looked at one and it certainly had no passwords on any of
the accounts.  This corroborated the PC owner's defense of obdurate
stupidity.

I'd like to know if there is any signature, perhaps in the event logs or
the registry, that would indicate that this software might have been
there.

Alternately, if anyone can point me to a copy, we can try to find out
ourselves.

					Thanks,
						- Andy Johnston

** Andy Johnston (andy at umbc.edu)          *            pager: 410-678-8949  **
** Manager of IT Security                 * PGP key:(afj2002) 4096/8448B056 **
** Office of Information Technology, UMBC *   4A B4 96 64 D9 B6 EF E3 21 9A **
** 410-455-2583 (v)/410-455-1065 (f)      *   46 1A 37 11 F5 6C 84 48 B0 56 **