[unisog] Dell LoadBalancer's?

Steve Bernard sbernard at gmu.edu
Thu Mar 20 01:01:09 GMT 2003

I'm curious, does anyone know of a free, open source load balancing
solution that provides something more than simple round-robin request
redirection? I'd love to find a usable, free lb tool but, plain vanilla
round-robin redirection is too simplistic. There don't seem to be any
tools for tasks like client IP pass-through, connection multiplexing,
SSL offload, cookie/token insertion, weighting of nodes or pools,
health/availability checking, advanced load balancing methods, Layer 7
decision making capability, a bridging-mode, or the tools to manage
everything effectively. I'm aware of individual capabilities within
Apache, Tomcat, and Squid to balance HTTP requests using various
methods, and of using round-robin DNS as well but, none of these provide
what I consider to be an "enterprise" load-balancer.

Steve