[unisog] Infringement Complaint protocol question: DirectConnect?

Asadoorian, Paul D Paul_Asadoorian at brown.edu
Mon Mar 24 16:26:45 GMT 2003

# grep DirectConnect /dev/brain

DirectConnect is yet another Peer-To-Peer filesharing system
(http://www.neo-modus.com/).  The network of multiple direct connect
machines, called a hub, is managed by the users themselves.  I think
that access can be allowed or denied on an IP address basis.  I also
think that many are running it over port 21, which makes it blend with
FTP traffic, and annoyingly generates false positives on the IDS.  A
machine running Direct Connect will display the following banner when
you connect to the port:

$MyNick SzBalazs|$Lock EXTENDEDPROTOCOLABCABCABCABCABCABC
Pk=DCPLUSPLUS0.24ABCABC|

I'm just starting to research more about this protocol, and possibly
develop some snort rules (to be shared with the group of course), so any
additional information or help would be great.

Thanks,

Paul Asadoorian, GCIA
Brown University
115 Waterman St.
Providence, RI 02912
401.863.7553

PGP Key: http://pauldotcom.com/Paul_Asadoorian.asc
Fingerprint: 42CB D9A8 37C4 2D1C A2FE  927F C946 9174 41DC 7A4F