Computer Crime Statistics

Bill Martin bmartin at luc.edu
Thu Mar 27 20:40:09 GMT 2003

As we all know, there are hundreds of organizations that have done statistics on computer crimes. Many of them focusing on the corporate world and their losses.  I know that the FBI had released a figure for all CC that estimated 70% or so, but that included all sectors. What I'm looking for more so than information on the corporate world, is information specifically related to HigherEd.  More importantly, the percentage of computer crimes that are initiated from authorized HigherEd clients (fac/staff/students) from internal addresses. If anyone might know of a resource where this could be obtained, this would be of great benefit.

FYI, I am aware of the inherent problems when dealing with statistics, but, we have some people that are looking for hard stats.  None the less, any information would be greatly appreciated.

-Bill Martin-
Sr. Systems Analyst
Loyola University Chicago
-=bmartin at luc.edu=-