[unisog] sendmail attack attempt seen here

E. Larry Lidz ellidz at eridu.uchicago.edu
Mon Mar 10 20:59:54 GMT 2003

"Sheila Hollenbaugh" writes:
>We have had one instance of the sendmail attack here.  We saw in the logs:
>
>sendmail[6492]: h2AIWuhF005607: Dropped invalid comments from header address
>
>If you have not patched your systems running sendmail, you should get to it as
>soon as possible!

As a note, some people have noticed this showing up when they received
certain types of spam. Spammers forge headers much in the same way as
the attack works...

-Larry

---
E. Larry Lidz                                        Phone: +1 773 702-2208
Sr. Network Security Officer                         Fax:   +1 773 834-8444
Network Security Center, The University of Chicago
PGP: http://security.uchicago.edu/centerinfo/pgpkeys.shtml