[unisog] Akamai

John Kristoff jtk at depaul.edu
Fri Mar 14 23:30:51 GMT 2003

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 03:05:48 -0500
"Steve Bernard" <sbernard at gmu.edu> wrote:

> We have 3 Akamai boxes attached to our network. Ostensibly, they are
> there to service the GMU community. Recently the filters on some
> routers were updated to block all but essential ports. Today we got an
> email from an Akamai engineer who said, in part,

It is difficult to block ports facing or coming from the Akamais, we had
that discussion with them too.  Especially when the remote IP's port
could be anything.  You should ask them for a list of ports their boxes
will be sourcing from (I have some on file, but I'd rather not post it
here - and they might not like it if I did :-).

> I haven't had a chance to talk to a person at Akamai and I'm wondering
> if anyone else has dealt with these guys?

Yes, they are generally cluefull and know what they are doing.  You
should have a contact list that they send out periodically telling you
who the authorized Akamai people are (in case they call you).  If you
send me the Akamai's rep's name in private email I can cross-verify with
my list and tell you the last couple of digits of the phone number I
have on file to make sure it matches with your's.

John